Friday, January 7, 2011

Today

1/7/11 Genesis 21:8-24:67 & Genesis 11:32

Today we read about Abraham's commitment to God's covenant. Abraham took Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice him just as God had instructed him. At the last moment, the Angel of God appeared and told him to not kill Isaac, but that he had made good on his end of the covenant. A ram that got caught in a bush (bad day to be the ram) was sacrificed instead. 

Also, Sarah died. Abraham had to buy land to bury her in, and Isaac married his cousin. It was weird that Abraham insisted that he not marry a woman from where they were living but instead marry someone in the family.....and millions of people on the earth came from this cousin's marriage. This brings up the point about the Father Abraham song...is everyone on the earth a descendant of Abraham, or just "many nations" as the Bible says.....if not everyone is a descendant of Abraham, then I think the song is flawed......"Father Abraham had many sons, many sons had Father Abraham, and I am one of them and so are you...." maybe I am not a son of Abraham, and neither are you (???) I guess we will need to wait for Heaven to find out.


outie

D here:

What an amazing act of faith by Abraham.  This is the second major act of faith that sticks out to me (the first being Noah)  Can anyone think of another major act of faith that happened before this?  Also it is nice to see he is pulling his act together.

I found trading cards online! Lets get trading!

2 comments:

  1. Is this the story where Islam splits from Christianity? I wonder why they believe that Abraham didn't truly take his son Isaac to the mountain to sacrifice him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily: I think this whole concept is interesting. It reminds me of how people say maybe God didn't actually flood the earth or creation took longer than 7 days. Why can't people just believe? I guess it is part of our nature to doubt, but I don't understand why if people believe God is who he says he is why he couldn't do any of these things (and so much more for that matter).

    ReplyDelete